Online Nutrition Games for Kids
We hear it all the time—an apple a day keeps the doctor away. But is this really true? Can eating apples—or other fruits and vegetables, for that matter—really play that big of a role in keeping our bodies healthy and strong? According to some research, yes it can. Many scientists believe that following a healthy diet and making good decisions about what we use as fuel can make the difference between living a long, healthy life, and being diagnosed with many of the chronic health conditions plaguing children today, such as obesity and diabetes. Interactive games, quizzes, and videos can be a great tool for kids who want to learn more about developing a strong nutritional base. Those who have more questions may want to consult with a registered dietitian or physician specializing in nutrition.
Why is Nutrition Important?
As mentioned above, following a healthy diet is essential for the prevention of weight gain, obesity, and other chronic health conditions like diabetes. However, these are not the only reasons why kids should consider following a healthy diet. Current research suggests that by drinking at least three glasses of milk each days, kids can ensure the development of strong, healthy bones that can support the body. Strong bones are not only important during childhood, but can be critical in later years. Most medical professionals believe that by consuming adequate amounts of milk and other dairy products at a young age, kids can maintain the longevity of their bones throughout adulthood.
Following a healthy diet is also important for the prevention of acute illnesses, like the common cold or flu. In many cases, the development of these illnesses occur as a result of a weakened immune system. Providing the body with all of the vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants needed to maintain the immune system is therefore essential for the prevention of coughs, colds, and other pesky illnesses. Kids who hope to avoid these conditions are often encouraged to eat at least five servings of fruit and vegetables per day. Choosing between a variety of different colors of fruits and vegetables can be an effective way to meet the requirements of different vitamins and minerals.
Learning About Nutrition
There are a number of ways in which kids who are interested in good health can obtain more information about following a healthy diet. Often, young people are encouraged to read books, magazines, and other publications that provide information about the topic in question. While these references do often contain valuable information, interpretation may often be challenging and material commonly dry. More and more research in the field of childhood education suggests that interactive games, videos, and quizzes are one of the most effective ways to teach children--especially when it comes to food and nutrition. These tools not only teach children about food and diet, but also give them the opportunity to teach other friends, parents, and teachers about the information that they have discovered.
Individuals who want to learn more about healthy nutrition and making good food choices should visit the following web sites:
- Little D’s Nutrition Expedition Games
- The Incredible Adventures of the Amazing Food Detective
- The Tomato Zone
- Beacon Street Girls: Powerful Girls
- Welcome to Nourish Interactive: The Fun Place to Learn About Nutrition!
- My School Lunch
- The Great Grub Club: Being Healthy is Fun!
- The Great Plant Escape: Welcome to the Great Plant Escape!
- Welcome to the Gaming4Health Online Arcade!
- The Game Closet
- Fruit and Veggie Color Champion
- The Food Groups Game
- Food Fury
- Food: A Fact of Life
- Florida Citrus: Games
- Smart Mouth
- E-Learning for Kids
- Superkids: Drop and Catch!
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: BAM!—Body and Mind
- Dairy Council of California: Kids Games
- Break Fast and Jump to It!
- ABC Kids
- DLTK’s Crafts for Kids: Nutrition Activities
- Health and Nutrition Information for Children Over Five
- Encouraging Healthy Eating Since 1918: Nutrition Activity Ideas
- Health and Nutrition
- Good Child Health: Nutrition Games for Kids
- Kids and Teens: Health: Nutrition
- Fizzy’s Lunch Lab
- Interactive Games, Quizzes, Videos
- Nutrition Word ‘O Rama
- Healthy Nutrition and Wellness Games for Kids
- Kaboose: Active Kids
- Nutrition: Play the Soup Game with Kids and Everybody is a Winner
- Nutrition Info
- Chinese Cooking Schools
- French Cooking Schools
- Italian Cooking Schools
- Japanese Cooking Schools
- Thai Cooking Schools
- Pastry Schools
- Vegetarian Cooking Schools
- Weekend Cooking Schools
- Kids Cooking Schools
- Cooking School Vacations
- Culinary Arts Schools
- Le Cordon Bleu
- The Art Institutes
- Kitchen Academy
- Johnson and Wales
- French Culinary Institute
- New England Culinary Institute
- Culinary Majors
- Culinary Arts
- Baking & Pastry Arts
- Food Prep/Prof. Cooking
- Hotel & Restaurant Management
- Culinary Arts Management
- Wine, Spirits & Beverage Management