Future Chefs: Culinary Resources for Kids
Kids of all ages can learn a lot by helping grown-ups in the kitchen. This includes learning various types of measurements, the nutritional value of different foods and how to successfully follow a recipe. The following contains a variety of information for any child who expresses interest in learning to cook.
Recipes for Kids
When a child is learning how to cook it's best to begin with recipes that are simple to follow. These recipes often have ingredients that are familiar to most kids. For example, an easy recipe for blueberry muffins or mini-pizzas are fun selections to start with. After a child masters some simple recipes, he or she can build on that success by trying more complicated recipes with unfamiliar ingredients. Depending on the childs age, parents should always be available to supervise a kid's cooking project.
Basic Things to Know about Cooking
One of the most basic things that a parent can teach a child about cooking is to read the recipe before beginning to prepare the dish. In many cases, there are details included near the end of a recipe's directions that are important to know before starting to cook. In addition, parents should go over some common words used in cooking so a kid will understand the process. Introducing kids to various utensils in the kitchen is also a wise idea for parents.
Safety in the Kitchen
The safety rules of a kitchen are important for parents to teach to a child. For instance, a child should know to keep the handles of pots and pans pointed inward toward the stove. Also, kids should be told why it's important to clean up a mess on a kitchen floor right away. By going over these and other rules, parents can help children become more responsible in the kitchen.
Ideas for Encouraging Kids to Help in the Kitchen
Putting kids in charge of making a particular dish is a great way to encourage them to participate with cooking tasks in the kitchen. With the help of a parent, a child can make a delicious dessert or appetizer to share with the family. The compliments and attention that kids receive from family members will likely encourage them to try another recipe. A feeling of success is an effective motivator for a child to explore his or her cooking talents.
Programs to Learn More about Cooking
Cooking classes and clubs for kids who are enthusiastic about making recipes are just two of the programs suitable for future chefs! Kids who join these programs receive encouragement from their instructors and peers. Also, it's a great way for kids to meet other young people who share the same interests.
- Kid Recipes: (PDF) Find a list of kid-friendly, easy recipes.
- Recipes Kids Will Enjoy Making: Muffins, soup, and pizza are among the kid-friendly recipes featured on this page.
- Cooking Information for Kids: Peruse some recipes as well as some techniques that are designed to help kids learn about cooking.
- Recipes for Kids to Make and Enjoy: Find a long list of recipes that kids can make with the help of an adult.
- Recipes to Cook with Kids: Study a list of recipes and some other activities that make cooking fun and educational for kids.
- A Gathering of Recipes for Kids: Peruse the list of recipes that kids can create with the help of a grown-up.
- Recipes for Kids to Try: Parents and kids can have fun preparing these dishes together.
- Cookie Recipe with a Cute Theme: Children and parents can have a good time creating these cookies that celebrate a fun occasion!
- Tasty Recipes for Kids: Look at a list of recipes that kids can make and share with the family.
- Learning Kitchen Basics: Checkout definitions of common kitchen terms and other helpful information for kids who want to cook.
- Guide for Reading a Recipe: Kids receive some guidance on how to properly read and follow a recipe.
- Helpful Cooking Facts for Kids: Learn new recipes and read about being safe in the kitchen on this informative page.
- Kitchen Safety Reminders for Kids: Look at a list of helpful safety tips to consider when cooking with kids in the kitchen.
- Essential Safety Tips for Kids: (PDF) Peruse a page that includes reminders for kids regarding safety in the kitchen.
- Hand Washing Facts for Kids: Kids can learn about the importance of hand washing on this engaging site.
- Kitchen Safety for Kids: (PDF) A guide for parents on teaching kids safety practices in the kitchen.
- Safety in the Kitchen: Read several tips for keeping both kids and adults safe in the kitchen.
- Food Safety and More for Kids: Learn the facts about food safety along with other useful food-related information.
- Rules for Safe Cooking: Parents may peruse these rules for keeping the kitchen area safe.
- Advice for Parents for Encouraging Kids to Cook: Find ten tips on how to encourage kids in their cooking endeavors and allow them to feel successful.
- Working with Kids in the Kitchen: (PDF) Discover tips for parents who want to include kids when they cook in the kitchen.
- Age Appropriate Kitchen Activities for Kids: Find suitable tasks for kids of various ages to perform in the kitchen.
- Teaching Kids Important Lessons in the Kitchen: Look over eight practical lessons that a parent can teach a child in the kitchen.
- Tips for Kids Helping in the Kitchen: (PDF) Read some ideas for allowing kids to help in the kitchen that are categorized by age group.
- Activities to Teach Kids about Nutrition and Cooking: Find a selection of several activities for young children that teaches them about food preparation in a fun way.
- Cooking Activities for Kids: Peruse a selection of books and activities related to getting kids interested in cooking.
- Kids of All Ages Helping in the Kitchen: Examples of tasks for beginning cooks are organized by age group.
- Teaching Kids to Cook: (PDF) Clear advice for parents on how to encourage kids to help with recipes in the kitchen.
- Helping Kids Learn about Cooking: Learn more about a program that helps kids learn about healthy food and cooking.
- A Club for Young Cooks: Checkout the information on a club for enthusiastic young cooks.
- Chinese Cooking Schools
- French Cooking Schools
- Italian Cooking Schools
- Japanese Cooking Schools
- Thai Cooking Schools
- Pastry Schools
- Vegetarian Cooking Schools
- Weekend Cooking Schools
- Kids Cooking Schools
- Cooking School Vacations
- Culinary Arts Schools
- Le Cordon Bleu
- The Art Institutes
- Kitchen Academy
- Johnson and Wales
- International Culinary Center
- Culinary Majors
- Culinary Arts
- Baking & Pastry Arts
- Food Prep/Prof. Cooking
- Hotel & Restaurant Management
- Culinary Arts Management
- Wine, Spirits & Beverage Management